Mon, Tue, Wed 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Thursday 8:30 am to 7:30 pm
(extended evening hours)
Friday 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
Ft Monmouth Information

(on former Fort Monmouth)


Click Here to Download More Information
(PDF document)

Click Here to Watch Presentation

Report a Concern
Registration for No Knock List
Click here to report a power outage
Report a power outage on Facebook
Report a power outage on Facebook
Sustainable Jersey Certified
Know Your Zone
Clean Energy Program


Registrar of Vital Statistics

Marriage, Birth or Death Certificate Information
Marriage License Information

Application for Vital Record
Application for License (Marriage, Remarriage, Civil Union, Reaffirmation of Civil Union)




Position Name Phone
Registrar Jason Sutton 732-222-8179
Deputy Registrar Katie LaPorta 732-222-8221



Marriage, Birth or Death Certificate Information

Please note that certified copies of your marriage license are not automatically issued, you need to request them.

To request a certified copy of a marriage, birth or death certificate:

Please fill out the Application for a Certification or a Certified Copy of a Vital Record form.  Please note this form can be used to obtain different vital records, you will need to fill in the applicant portion and the areas on the form that relate to the vital record you are requesting.  You can either mail the required information or drop the information off along with a check for $15.00 per requested copy made payable to the Borough of Oceanport.  Our address is as follows:

Borough of Oceanport
315 East Main Street
Oceanport, NJ 07757

Please enclose either a copy (front and back) of your valid photo driver's license or a valid non-photo driver's license with an alternative form of ID with your current address.  If you do not have a driver's license, you will need to provide two alternative forms of ID - one of which must have your current address.

Acceptable alternative forms of ID include:  Valid vehicle registration, vehicle insurance card, voter registration, passport, green card, county ID, or school ID.  A utility bill or bank statement from within the last 90 days will be accepted.

If you are requesting a license or certificate for someone other than yourself, additional documentation may be needed to prove your relationship to the individual. Please call (732) 222-8179 for further information.

Our fax number is (732) 222-0904 should you need it.  Certified copies will not be released until all required documents and payment are received by the Registrar's office.

Thank You.



Marriage License Information


Where should you apply for a marriage license?


When should you apply for a marriage license?

A local Registrar cannot issue a marriage license sooner than 72 hours after the application for a marriage license has been made, unless ordered to do so via an appropriate court order.

If the marriage is scheduled for a Sunday, the application should be made no later than the preceding Tuesday. If the application is made on a Wednesday or Thursday, the 72 hours will end on Saturday or Sunday, and the Registrar will not be available on those days or any public holiday.

Once the marriage license is issued, it is good for 30 days from the date of issuance.


Who can perform a marriage ceremony?

According to a new state law, judges of a Federal District Court, United States magistrates, judges of a Municipal Court, judges of the Superior Court, judges of a Tax Court, retired judges of the Superior Court or Tax Court or judge of the Superior Court or Tax Court who has resigned in good standing, and any mayor/deputy mayor or chairman of any township committee, village president of New Jersey, County Clerks, and every minister of every religion may solemnize a marriage.


What should you bring with you when you apply?

If one or both of the applicants are divorced, you should both bring copies of the final decree for examination by the Registrar or a statement by the judge as to when the final decree was signed (not the date of the final hearing).

Both the bride and groom should bring their drivers license and a bill (utility bill, credit card bill, etc.) showing their current addresses.

Consent of both parents is necessary if an applicant is under 18 years of age. Both parental consents and judicial approval of such consents are necessary if the applicant is younger than 16 years of age. These consents should be on forms supplied by the Registrar.


Where should the marriage record be filed?

The person performing a marriage ceremony must file (send) the license (signed and dated) with the Registrar of the municipality in which the marriage was performed. Since failure to record the marriage may cause considerable inconvenience later, when proof of marriage is needed, you should make sure that this has been done.


Please note that certified copies of your marriage license are not automatically issued, you need to request them.